You've seen our guest bath. It is almost "done" aside from one little eensy teensy detail.
|Wood filler. Should've removed the wood filler.|
The oak vanity is still oak-colored. I don't want it to be oak-colored. I want it to be white. Last week I decided that it was finally time to remedy the issue. That was before we decided to paint the exterior of the house last weekend. Two painting projects in a row? Apparently my feeling on the matter is "Bring it on." Or maybe "I didn't realize what I was getting myself into."
|Quit calling me honey.|
I removed the doors and drawer fronts from the vanity. I know some people recommend labeling your doors and drawer fronts to make it easier when you reinstall them, but this is such a small project that I'm pretty confident I can figure out what went where again. I would recommend keeping all of your hinges and screws together, though. I stuck mine in a quart size Ziploc.
Hurrah! Now we're ready for cleaning and sanding.
Old labels came off with a razor scraper.
Years of gunk came off with acetone and a rag. I think one of the previous tenants may have had an accident with hair-removal wax. I'll spare you the details. You're welcome.
Everything (including the vanity) got a quick sanding with 220 grit sandpaper to take the shine off and give the paint a rougher surface to adhere to, and a wipe down with tack cloth to remove all the dust left from the sanding.
Now I just have to tape off the vanity and work up the nerve to paint. Steve's working late today and it's raining outside, I think today's the day. Wish me luck!