Pages

Jul 13, 2012

You're So Vain

Let's take a break from all of that exterior painting.  The trim is 80% finished; we just need to do the trim along the roof line now and a couple of quick touch-ups on a few stray boo-boos on the body of the house.  Hopefully we'll finish this weekend.  I say hopefully because I am sick of painting.  Which makes the rest of this blog post rather hilarious (read: crazy).

You've seen our guest bath.  It is almost "done" aside from one little eensy teensy detail.


Wood filler.  Should've removed the wood filler.

The oak vanity is still oak-colored.  I don't want it to be oak-colored.  I want it to be white.  Last week I decided that it was finally time to remedy the issue.  That was before we decided to paint the exterior of the house last weekend.  Two painting projects in a row?  Apparently my feeling on the matter is "Bring it on."  Or maybe "I didn't realize what I was getting myself into."


Quit calling me honey.


I removed the doors and drawer fronts from the vanity.  I know some people recommend labeling your doors and drawer fronts to make it easier when you reinstall them, but this is such a small project that I'm pretty confident I can figure out what went where again.  I would recommend keeping all of your hinges and screws together, though.  I stuck mine in a quart size Ziploc.







Hurrah!  Now we're ready for cleaning and sanding.






Old labels came off with a razor scraper.




Years of gunk came off with acetone and a rag.  I think one of the previous tenants may have had an accident with hair-removal wax.  I'll spare you the details.  You're welcome.

Everything (including the vanity) got a quick sanding with 220 grit sandpaper to take the shine off and give the paint a rougher surface to adhere to, and a wipe down with tack cloth to remove all the dust left from the sanding.

Now I just have to tape off the vanity and work up the nerve to paint.  Steve's working late today and it's raining outside, I think today's the day.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment